Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Crusader Kings 2: A Simple UI Mod To Hide A Character Stat / Rating

Even though I haven't found Crusader Kings 2 (CK2) to be an enjoyable strategy game, I still find visiting the forums interesting in order to read what others are saying about it. One player, in the name of immersion, suggested that an option to hide the character ratings should exist. From what I read, most players disagreed (myself included), but found the request an interesting exercise.

The user interface files reside in the folder: .\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II Demo\interface. Each window has its own set of files. By some trial and error I determined that the games uses the "character_selection.gui" file when the player selects a character to appoint to their council. My guess is that it is also used for other character selection screens too. The lower half of the screen is a list that displays the characters available, along with their stats  You can hide a field by setting its position to off screen (see position):

instantTextBoxType = {
name = "character_diplomacy"
position = { x = 9999 y = 7 } <-------------- I changed the value to 9999 so it isn't rendered on the screen. Now the diplomacy rating isn't displayed on the screen where you appoint council members.
textureFile = ""
font = "vic_18_black"
borderSize = {x = 0 y = 0}
text = "0"
maxWidth = 30
maxHeight = 20
format = centre
Orientation = "UPPER_LEFT"
}

If a player would find the game more enjoyable with the character stats hidden, they could simply mod the UI files, moving the stat fields off screen. This would have to be done in each file that displayed character stats, but a motivated player should be able to mod the fields out without too much effort. Note: I only tried this method for the diplomacy stat in the one file, so I can't guarantee it would work everywhere. I can't see a reason why this method wouldn't work. If someone bothers to try this, please share your experiences here. It would be interesting to know the results and how it effected your enjoyment of CK2.

2 comments:

  1. I'm trying to find a way to mod out/in the restriction on same gender marriage. My Lesbian Queen of Castille already has three kids by her female lover and I want them married. Is it possible or should I just give up on the notion?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I don't know of a way. The only thing I can think of is if you can edit the save game file. I only played the demo so I can't save the game to try it. Are the save game files simple text files? If so look for your character and maybe there is an entry where you can specify a spouse. Sorry I can't be of more help.

    ReplyDelete