Tuesday, May 1, 2012

I Stand Corrected

I've been reflecting on my scores and in retrospect I feel I have been a little harsh on some of the games I reviewed. Not within the review itself, but on the final score. When I started, I was worried about grade inflation. I didn't want to fall into the same trap as many review sites. The thing is I select what games I want to review, so chances are I'm not going to hate it unless the game was very poorly made. I view a 'C' grade as a game that I had some fun with, but wouldn't really have missed anything if I never played it. A 'C' game isn't a bad game and I don't regret spending time with it.

I was also getting a little out of hand with the grade granularity. I actually graded some games a 'C/C+'. What is wrong with me??? I have come to terms that there will be some games I like more than others even though they received the same score.

That being said, here is an updated list of the games I reviewed, along with their old and new scores.

Unity of Command:      A-    (was B+)
Battle Academy:        B+    (was B)
Limbo:                 B+    (no change)
Tropico 4:             C     (was C/C+)
Conquest of Elysium 3: C+    (was C/C+)
R.U.S.E.:              B-    (no change)
Legend of Grimrock:    B     (was B-)


The toughest change for me was Legend of Grimrock. I really thought the combat was uninteresting - do the Grimrock shuffle. The thing is, I had a lot of fun with the puzzle and exploration aspects of the game. Do I wish the combat was better? Yes! But I still had a lot of fun playing the game. Grimrock was a good game despite the combat, so up to a 'B' it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment